- This topic is empty.
January 17, 2021 at 5:16 am #43783adminKeymaster
- Novice Gister
……..Troops withdrew from their positions when they were overpowered by insurgents…
By Misbahu Bashir
Several soldiers and few officers reportedly ‘went missing’ on Friday after insurgents overwhelmed 153 Infantry Battalion and the 22 Armored Brigade, Marte, Borno State in a surprise attack.
Both army formations were in one base when the insurgents launched an assault on them. Troops were said to have withdrawn from their positions when they were overpowered.
“Troops tried very hard and almost suppressed the offensive but the insurgents sent reinforcements. Troops could not withstand the superior firepower of the insurgents and had to abandon their positions,” a military source confirmed on Saturday.
Most of the soldiers and officers sought refuge in Dikwa town which had army base while many others have not been accounted for, the source added.
The insurgents were said to have looted valuables including large caliber guns before setting the army installations ablaze.
The Brigade Commander and the Commanding Officer of the battalion were among the troops that retreated to Dikwa where the General Officer Commanding, 7 Division, was supposed to meet with them on Saturday, the source stated.
Troops repel attack, DHQ statement says
However, Brigadier General Bernard Onyeuko, Acting Director, Defence Media Operations, Defence Headquarters said in the statement on Saturday that troops of Operation TURA TAKAIBANGO in conjunction with the Air Task Force Operation Lafiya Dole “have effectively destroyed 7 Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists’ gun trucks and decimated several unconfirmed number of the terrorists when they attempted to attack their location at the outskirts of Marte.
“The gallant troops, based on reliable information about the attack, had positioned themselves in an ambush site where they tactically withdrew to, and awaited the arrival of the terrorists before they opened fire which led to fierce battle that resulted in the successes recorded as indicated above.
“The troops are still engaged in pursuit of the fleeing terrorists for further exploitation. Further details of interest to members of the public will be communicated later.”
Similar attack had taken place on the battalion on June 1, 2020 which later relocated to Dikwa and returned to Marte after the brigade was sent there.
During last year’s assault, 18 soldiers who went missing, have yet to be accounted for while the decomposed corpses of three soldiers were later recovered.Share BreakingGist
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.